Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Q A Cassie Primitive and Proper

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Today Im welcoming the talented Cassie from Primitive and Proper!! When I first found Cassies blog, I fell in love with her amazing bedroom - LOVE the turquoise/teal dresser (I think every room needs a bright pop!) and the dark walls. Her recent dining room update is also stunning!! I reeeallly want a mid-century modern sideboard like hers :) Cassie is a furniture refinishing pro and consistently turns our gorgeous furniture makeovers AND she recently opened a shop, Sweet Clover in Frederick, MD. If youre local, make sure to check it out! I cant wait to stop by when Im in town!!

Heres Cassie :)

Hello to Sarahs friends and fans!  I am Cassie from Primitive and Proper and I am so honored that Sarah asked me to help out as she treks halfway across the country!  She was kind enough to provide me with some questions to answer for you.  Oh, and thats me with a favorite find from the Country Living Fair....





I am your biggest Fall cliche... I love pumpkin and apple anything!  Ill take a tall skinny pumpkin spice latte with a serving of home made apple crisp please!  Fall is my absolute favorite time of year and I love to soak it in every pore of my being.



One of the rooms in our house that I constantly keep fresh is our dining room.  Its open to the kitchen and one of the first spaces people see.  To keep it fresh, I change up the accessories on the table and the sideboard.  Its currently in Fall/Halloween mode, but here is a shot of its "end of summer" look.




 My biggest fail came shortly after we moved into our current house.  We were blessed to inherit maple toned wood trim in each and every room.  Wanting to save myself the tedious task of sanding it all and also wanting to go eco-friendly, I tried a water based primer that was supposed to stick to anything without sanding.  I tested a small area and it appeared to work... hallelujah, I was going to save hours of tedium!  But lo and behold, the primer did not hold true to its word.  If I vacuumed and accidentally hit the trim, paint would come off.  If the dog bumped it, paint came off.  If I looked at the the wrong way, paint came off.  I had to go back and sand it all off plus lightly sand the wood, and reprime, this time using a smelly toxic oil-based primer (but only wanting to do it once more!!!)  Sometimes you have to use the tried and true and not be so quick to cut corners.  I ended up tripling my work in trying to save time.  Luckily I only did that in a couple rooms, and all the rest of the rooms have been done the right way the first time.



Youve seen a glimpse of the dining room, which ranks up there, but I have two other projects I am thrilled with.
Our kitchen is still a work in progress, but this past Spring, I painted the cabinets navy blue, and could not be happier with the result.  They started as ugly 1979 presswood cabinets, and painted look like this....


And my other favorite project is my own cozy master bedroom.  Its navy as well (sense a theme?) and there are pops of teal and gold.  I am an early to bed girl, and I love relaxing in my room before bed.  Im writing this post right now from my bed. :)




I just got the Royal Design triangle stencil and am itching to use it.  I am crushing on the colorful use of tribal triangles as seen here:

triangle wall artBut I also love it in a monochromatic look:

Allover Geometric Wall Stencil Step Up Triangles - Royal Design Studio Stencils - www.royaldesignstudio.com


I love Emily Henderson.  One of my best friends bumped into her at a flea market they both frequent.... I tried very hard NOT to be envious of my friend!  Emilys look is eclectic, a perfect blending of modern and vintage, and with enough quirk to keep it feeling fresh and fun.  One of my favorite spaces designed by her is this amazing bedroom....


Emily Henderson | TV Host and Designer of HGTVs Secrets from A Stylist, Season 5 Design Star winner
Thank you so much for having me here today, Sarah!  I wish you the smoothest of moves and transitions and much happiness in Ohio!

--

How great is Cassie!? Im a sucker for all things pumpkin and apple too! I just bought some pumpkin cream cheese today - Targets Archer Farms in my favorite! YUM! I love Cassies house - the dark walls are just fabulous ... Ive been scared to try it, but maybe I will soon - looks SO good in her space! :)

Thanks so much for sharing today Cassie!!

If youre new to Cassies blog, make sure to check out her home tour and if youre near Frederick MD, Sweet Clover!

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment